Sunday, March 10, 2019

Song and Journal Contents

I have selected the audio that I want to have the main character listening to. It's on the Free Music Archive [1] that I linked in a previous post. The beat is called "Short Lived" by Yung Kartz. Funnily enough, this was the first audio I clicked on because the title of it stood out to me. Immediately I liked it, based off of the rhythm, what I felt I could do with it, and overall just how it sounded. I decided to look around a bit more in case I found something that was better because going with my first pick before hearing anything else just isn't a smart move. However, after clicking around for a while and hearing the other options the site had, this one remained my favorite.

As far as the words that will go with the beat, it's been established that those will be the contents of the girl's journal. I'm not entirely sure word-for-word what she will be writing. Whatever is put on the paper should reflect her hardships or distress either from that day or in general. I was thinking about having her write about what happened at school that day, but the problem with that is I don't think it will make for a very good rap if it's too specific and more of a story. I also don't want what she writes to be too general because that doesn't give any insight to the character or her perspective, so no development is occurring. I want to find some happy medium where the audience can learn more about the character but also where they can relate to the rap as a whole. If the lyrics she writes are meaningful and universal to some regard, then the audience will be able to relate on some degree, hopefully making the film more intriguing. The rap is serving as the hook of the opening. This is the part where the audience will be deciding if they want to continue watching or not, so I need it to be powerful.

I also want to stay away from making the writing too depressing or concerning for those watching, especially because realistically many of the audience members may not have dealt with depression or been exposed to it, so I don't want it to be too overwhelming. Regardless, it should be heavy and strong in some way so that it can remain realistic and stay true to the girl's character.

[1] http://freemusicarchive.org/genre/rap/?sort=track_date_published&d=1&page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment