Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Editing Idea

Getting more into the editing process, I knew I wanted my film opening to not only have an intriguing plot but also be visually appealing.

Browsing music videos on YouTube, as I occasionally like to do in my free-time, I came across a music video [1] from the artist ITSOKTOCRY for the song "JIRACHI." This video really captivated me in the way that it plays with colored lighting but moreso the way that the actions of ITSOKTOCRY and the extras are replayed or the clips are repeated. I find that the repetition drags out the actions and creates tension, without being too suspenseful, establishing strong curiosity and interest from viewers. That interest is essentially what I would like to create with my film.

Another music video that really inspires me with editing is the one for "Pemex" by Fat Nick and Shakewell. This video also includes that rapid repetition, alongside the additional editing features of increased zooms and focus on still or subtly-changing frames. Again, this is the type of visual interest I would like to produce.

My main concern with editing in this way is that I do not want my final result to more closely resemble a music video or some artistic clip rather than the introduction to a full-length movie. I plan on just editing this way and seeing how it goes. Ideally it works out, but if not I believe I could find other options for editing.

My hope is that I could use the repetition to express Maya's mundane life and the tediousness of her average day but ultimately break that with the creation of the rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment